Barnetimen (Children's Hour)Location: 520 W. Water St., Decorah, IA 52101
Event Date: Tue, Mar 21, 2017
Contact Person: 563-382-9681
Vesterheim invites all pre-school-aged children and their parents or caregivers to explore art and culture with museum tours, hands-on art projects, and snacks duringBarnetimen (Children’s Hour). Join Vesterheim Youth Educator Jennifer Kovarik and ArtHaus Directors Jenni and Eric Petersen-Brant from 10:00-11:00 a.m. on the third Tuesday of each month to explore art and culture.
2016-2017 dates and themes are—
- September 20, 2016 - Boats Visit the TradeWind in the Ship Gallery, then make and sail your own boat.
- October 18, 2016 - Weaving Explore woven textiles at Vesterheim and make your own weaving.
- November 15, 2016 - Crowns Learn about Norwegian crowns and make your own dazzling version.
- December 20, 2016 - Christmas Explore Norwegian Christmas traditions, make a holiday gift to give or keep, and taste some traditional treats.
- January 17, 2017 - Northern Lights Learn about the Aurora Borealis or Northern Lights and paint our own version with special frozen paint.
- February 21, 2017 - Hearts Look for hearts around the museum and use them for inspiration to make something special for your sweetheart.
- March 21, 2017 - Travel Make some cool binoculars and take them on a trip around the world through art.
- April 18, 2017 - Houses What makes a house a home? Visit houses from long ago and decorate your own tiny house.
Barnetimen is free of charge and no previous sign-up is necessary—come to one session or all of them. The program is geared toward 3-5 year olds, but all ages are welcome. Meet first at ArtHaus Studio at 516 W. Water St., visit the museum, and then head back to ArtHaus for an art project.
Barnetimen is sponsored by David and Brenda Carlson, Keith and Amy Bruening, Norwegian Mutual Insurance Association, and Black Hills Energy.
Jenni and Eric Petersen-Brant are co-directors of ArtHaus, downtown Decorah’s home for the arts. Both are practicing studio artists with extensive experience in arts administration and arts education. Jenni holds an MFA from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and a BFA from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and has worked as the Executive Director of the Kimmel Harding Nelson Center for the Arts, and Education Director for LUX Center for the Arts. Largely a self-taught artist, Eric holds a BS from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and extensive post-graduate education in the arts. He has taught with LUX Center for the Arts, Doane College, and independently, while also being studio assistant to artist Eddie Dominguez.
For information about Barnetimen, please contact Jennifer Kovarik, Vesterheim Youth Educator, at 563-382-9681 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
View Larger Map